I recently wrote about a solar glass roof…this post is about an Optical Glass House in Japan. The front of this building is made of borosilicate glass bricks which is a great choice because of their strength and ability to stand weather extremes. And it looks cool too. This story came from the blog, Contemporist, a design blog that focuses on architecture and interiors. The glass blocks are strung together with steel bars as well as having steel bars running laterally. This is all for structural support since the glass blocks wouldn’t stand on their own with only concrete. The look is amazing and it’s also a great sound barrier.
By Cathi Milligan
- Concrete Glass? Glass Concrete?
- Fabulous Fused Glass Tutorial: Pattern Bars
- Homune Table by Michael Young
- Coloraddiction: A Glass Blog Must Read!
- Looking at Glass – A blog about art and architecture